The tenth law of Mortensen's 12 universal laws of persuasion is "The Law of Contrast". The Law of Contrast explains how we are affected when we are introduced to two vastly different alternatives in succession. Essentially, this law relies upon our instinctual understanding of the differences between two options. Trial and error is essential to all living life and our species has adapted based upon the contrasting options we face.
During Summerfest I am forced to use the law of contrast because of the need to narrow my options for each night of festing. Based on various factors I am often forced to choose between concerts on any given night. The variety of music that comes to Milwaukee for Summerfest is what causes me to narrow my options. I must mentally construct two very different experiences and decide based upon the projected night I want to have. It is one of my favorite choices to make in life. I am often choosing between two very different yet awesome live shows.
Beyond college I'll most definitely be using this law, hopefully, to narrow down employment opportunities. The diversity of the working world is one that I am anxious to encounter. Choices, especially given my communications major, are numerous. When the time comes to invest all my energy into one profession, the decisions I'll have to make will impact the future. It is this aspect of planning ahead that makes the law of contrast so powerful.
Also, as a job candidate I must show contrast between myself and my competitors. My peers will all flood in with diverse backgrounds and yet only the most distinguished will catch the eye of their future employer. Mastering the ability to accentuate my individuality is essential to my creative freedom in the workplace.
http://bit.ly/1kYEgf7 My first example comes from the last generation of video game consoles during an advertising campaign by Nintendo against rival gaming company Sony. Nintendo is using women as a medium of understanding. The differences in the personalities in these two women attempt to distinguish the differences between the Nintendo Wii and the PS3. Despite the advertisement, I believe that PS3 is a better console, but that's simply my opinion. However, this is a very compelling argument depending on what you are looking for in a gaming console.
http://bit.ly/1iyZDSO Despite the fact that we touched on this in class, Billy Mays is still worth mentioning again. One of the masters of contrast, Mays sought to endorse products that he believed in. He is quoted in saying that he only worked with companies who's product worked well. Mays often demonstrated the superiority of Oxi Clean in side by side comparison with competing brands. In our society, we rely on success and if we can purchase a product that removes our sloppiness then this tactic is extremely effective.
http://bit.ly/1l8CTO5 Consumers want products that are effective when we need them. Five Hour Energy seeks to demonstrate that with it, you will see a drastic increase in your energy level. The "2:30 feeling" is the less desirable option when the alternative is a productive day filled with energy. For the marketable population of working adults who are constantly complaining about their health and energy levels, five hour energy markets their product's effect well.
Simply, I utilize the law of contrast within my own head when deciding what food to eat and when. This decision making process has been especially relevant to my life as I have been altering my eating schedule significantly. Because of some adverse changes to my medical history, I am forced to distinguish upon what is desirable for me to eat and what is not. The consequence for eating some things may lead to dissatisfaction and poor health.
I'll continue to use the law of contrast in my adult life for larger decisions than whether or not to eat a snickers bar. Buying a house, buying a car, or any other large purchase requires deciphering between two or more very distinct choices, each with pros and cons.
No comments:
Post a Comment