The twelfth and final universal law of persuasion is the law of scarcity. The Law of Scarcity is exemplifying the value and worth of opportunities given the limited availability of such. Whenever a choice is threatened, there is a human need to maintain control and take advantage of this opportunity. Scarcity relies on our consumer ideology that dictates that we should never pass on a good deal. Taking advantage of deals and living in the moment is the basic premise of this persuasive principle.
I operate under scarcity but do not often employ this persuasive strategy upon others. Most definitely while I am buying food, I use the law of scarcity to justify buying items that are on sale. These items that I am buying are not things I really need, but because of the marketed sale on given items they become increasingly more valuable.
Bringing up Lobo again, I utilized this strategy while attempting to coerce my peers to write articles. Convincing a college student to go above and beyond their expected workload requires intense use of the law of scarcity. Instead of making it about the individual (my individual) needs I would focus on what the Lobo Network itself needed. Some students would recognize an apparent need, assess that they could in fact make a significant contribution to the situation, and then acted upon it.
http://huff.to/1fEXoCB Mountain Dew Baja Blast was only available on tap at Taco Bell locations before this month being released as bottled and canned. MTN Dew has always been the soda king of summer releases and it works! People drink soda during the summer and the new varieties of mountain dew cause people to go out of their way and purchase the rare taste because of its limited availability. The company has historically employed this tactic with Code Red and LiveWire flavors.
http://bit.ly/1saUmGC It's no surprise that Kohl's will be having at least one huge sale this summer. Clothing stores are perfect for cycling out sales because of the frequency with which you can host one. Every holiday, every season are new styles and outfits to wear. This change in market has Kohl's constantly liquidating its winter items in summer and vice versa. Kohl's is an extremely effective user of the law of scarcity. My mom gobbles up these deals with surprising ferocity.
http://bit.ly/1hCQJEv Nike has a lot of creative freedom because of the enormity of their brand. They are able to collaborate with numerous athletes and artists in order to appeal to the sneaker-heads out there. The success of designer Jordans and other nike models is huge. Special edition sneakers are highly desirable and enthusiasts will indeed pay top dollar in order to purchase a slice of a limited edition part of sneaker history. These pairs of shoes sell out extremely fast, as was demonstrated with the "Red Octobers".
With my experience with lobo, I have learned of serious advantages within the world of leadership and how they connect to these elements of persuasion. When used effectively and ethically, I will be able to persuade my peers to collaborate and cooperate on ideas. I will continue to use what I have picked up on through my study of Mortensen's 12 universal laws of persuasion, in lobo as well as other aspects of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment